How to Sell a House without a Realtor
According to the National Association of Realtors, approximately ten percent of residential property sales in the USA are currently FSBO. If you have the confidence to navigate the sale process on your own, an FSBO strategy can actually be simpler than expected.
Some tips for selling a house without an agent include:
- You need to list your house at a fair price – seek a free comparative market analysis to achieve this
- You need to market your property – in the local newspaper, with signage, on a listing service, and online
- Know and showcase your home’s selling points
- You need to be available to be physically on-site to show your property
- You need to educate yourself regarding the local market
- You need to be willing and able to negotiate
- You need to be flexible to close on the buyer’s timeframe
- Ideally, seek buyer proof of pre-approval for the mortgage
- Enlist a legal representative to oversee close of the sale
If you choose the FSBO route, you need to understand the time commitment of selling your home yourself. You need to be comfortable opening your home to people who may or may not be potential legitimate buyers. It can also take a little longer to sell this way than through a realtor.