When you’re selling a house without an agent, it’s up to you to handle all the showings and open houses. That’s something that requires commitment, strategy, and skill.
Of course, you don’t have to have an open house—but most experts would argue that you should. Open houses are some of the best ways to draw potential buyers and potentially get an offer.
As you consider how to sell your home without a Realtor, make sure you spend some time contemplating your open house strategy. Here are a few tips for holding a great open house event.
Selling a House Without an Agent: Open House Tips
- Remember that first impressions are everything. If you’re going to have a bunch of potential buyers scoping out your home, you obviously want your property to shine. Spend time freshening the paint, manicuring the lawn, etc.
- Clean thoroughly. The best way to sell a property is to remove any clutter that’s present, making the rooms look as big and as spacious as possible. Also make sure you wash the windows, clean the carpets, and so on. Again—first impressions!
- Stage your home. Make sure you position furniture and accessories in a way that shows off how big the space is, and also that highlights your color choices.
- Send your pets somewhere else. The last thing you want during your open house is to have a barking, mess-making dog under foot. See if there is a friend or family member who’s willing to puppy-sit for a couple of hours.
- Get the word out. Make sure you advertise the event as widely as possible—on social media, on Craigslist, through flyers in the neighborhood, and on any major real estate sites you can get on.
- Maximize natural light. Open the curtains and blinds. While you’re at it, make sure the lights are on in every room.
- Lock up your valuables. If you have items you fear could be damaged or stolen, it’s best to just put them somewhere secure.
- Bake or buy cookies. Yes, it’s an old real estate cliché—but it’s a cliché for a reason. People like to feel welcomed into your home. Cookies are a great way to be hospitable.
- Offer information. Finally, make sure you have a brochure or some other document you can provide to buyers, providing them with the basic specs and selling points of your home.
Holding an open house can be the best way to sell a property—especially if you do it right.
Find out more about how to sell your home without a Realtor. Get your FREE SOLD.com report today!